Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Shall I give them another chance?

Most of my 6 finished novels have been tried on at least one traditional publisher. A couple have been tried on a dozen each. I'm just wrapping up number six, and I'm debating: straight to indie pub, or give it an outing first? It's post-apocalyptic science fiction, thought the focus isn't on the science, but on how the people react to nearly everyone they know dying and the entire structure of civilization crumbling into nothing in a matter of a few months. It's really a very quiet story. Sellable? I have no idea. I write the novel that's inside me. I have no idea what's "hot" and have never had much of a finger on the pulse of current culture. I've always been the sort that hangs onto the old fashions/trends/whatever until they're pried from my fingers.

Born in the 1950s, I still think the clothes from that era look best. Played with dolls until I was sixteen. Didn't date until I was eighteen, and only a year at a college in the boonies led me to getting my driver's license. I've always had a feeling my books would have been best sellers in the 1970s. I have never been in sync with my peer group. In the summer I would rather spend 2 weeks at my grandparents' house in rural Kansas than hang with my best friend. I never had a crowd, but one best friend at a time.

So, back to my novels. If anyone reads my ramblings, I'd like some feedback. I have one indie published e-book out now, and there are 4 more that had their shot at a traditional publisher. Should the new one have a shot as well, or go straight to indie?

No comments: