Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 4, 2009

Guess what? Humor is frequently offensive.

The movie Tropic Thunder has been getting press for being derogatory to mentally challenged people. I saw the movie, and frankly found it hysterical. Yes, the characters in the movie had several scenes in which they spoke badly of the mentally challenged, calling them 'retards.'

Was the sole purpose of the entire movie to be insulting to the mentally challenged? NO.

Were the men voicing these offensive opinions supposed in any way, shape, or form, meant to be role models? HELL NO.

The men offering the disrespect were a bunch of self-obsessed, self-indulgent, not terribly bright or talented actors, playing in a comedy in which they showed themselves to be plenty mentally challenged themselves. Not to mention morally, spiritually, and common-sense challenged. they were stereotypes, meant to poke fun at ACTORS.

Comedy pokes fun - at people, at situations, at life. Am I bent out of shape because blondes are frequently portrayed as stupid? Of course not! In the words of the immortal Dolly Parton: "I don't mind being called a dumb blonde, because I know I'm not dumb, and I know I'm not a real blonde."

Everyone needs to get a sense of humor and stop taking everything so personally.

No comments: